Detoxification is the elimination or neutralising of toxins in the body. It's a normal body process that works through the liver, kidneys, lungs, lymph, blood, colon, and skin. It's also one of the body's most basic, natural functions.
High amounts of toxins in the environment bombard our bodies. Our elimination systems are overloaded and can't cope. Toxins are everywhere: the air we breathe, the foods we eat, the water we drink and bathe with, personal care products, and household cleaning products, are all loaded with toxic chemicals.
We inhale them, ingest them, and absorb them through our skin. It doesn't matter how they get there; they enter our bodies, sometimes never to leave. Our bodies aren't adapting as fast as our exposure to toxins is increasing. We don't fully eliminate the toxins in our systems; thus, we become toxic.
The result of this accumulation of toxins in our body tissues is chronic and degenerative diseases, immune system disorders, neurological disorders, digestive disorders, hormonal imbalances, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, obesity, and more. These diseases are negatively impacting our society at an alarming rate. Also, otherwise healthy, productive people become sick, bedridden, and immobile. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, cancer, diabetes, stroke, asthma, kidney disease, and several other ailments are being proven to be the result of toxic build-up in our colon, liver, kidneys, blood, brain, other organs, and our cells in general. To maintain or regain good health, it's vital to aid your overloaded elimination systems through body detoxification.
Detoxification involves cleaning of the liver, lungs, kidneys, colon, lymph, skin, or blood. There are detox programmes for helping each of these systems rid the body of wastes. Detoxification gives our elimination systems and organs the much-needed boost in ridding dangerous toxins from our bodies. There's an old saying: "Death begins in the colon." It couldn't be truer than today. With alarmingly high levels of toxins stored in our systems, we are leaving ourselves vulnerable [even setting ourselves up] to numerous health problems, including deadly chronic diseases. We must rid our bodies of these poisons, or face deadly consequences. Detox is our bodies' innate tool for eliminating toxins. With the overload of toxins in our bodies and continued exposure in our daily lives, we must help our bodies with this vital process and minimise the burden. Sometimes, we can experience a healing crisis detox effect. This crisis of healing can occur when toxins that are unsettled momentarily create flu-like systems; however, they usually pass relatively quickly and are worth the temporary discomfort.
SIGNS FOR DETOX
Detox is beneficial for almost everyone. However, you may really want to take a more serious look at performing a regular detox programme, if you experience any of the following symptoms of a toxic system:
Brittle hair and nails
Headaches and sinusitis
Let's now review our seven reasons to detox:
1. Remove Toxins and Parasites from the Body. Toxins are stored in tissues and organs in the body. Long-term exposure to toxins results in metabolic and genetic changes. These changes affect cell growth, behaviour, and immune response. It's essential that we rid our bodies of these deadly, disease-producing toxins. Parasites are microscopic organisms that invade the body, usually via skin or oral ingestion. They feed on our body's supplies, robbing us of nutrients, vitamins, and amino acids [the building block of proteins]. Parasites, known to microbiologists as ‘the great masqueraders,’ cause a myriad of symptoms that conventional medicine incorrectly attributes to other illnesses. Primarily residing in the colon, parasites migrate to the blood, lymph, heart, liver, gall bladder, pancreas, spleen, eyes, brain, and joints, causing illness. Ridding the body of parasites reduces allergies and illness.
2. Enhanced Immune System Function. Toxins and chemicals are stored in the immune system and this decreases its ability to function properly. Add to that extra energy spent with overloaded elimination processes, and our immune system is weakened. A compromised immune system leaves us vulnerable to cold and flu, and even more dangerous sicknesses we're exposed to daily. This decreases our quality of life [QoL]. Performing a regular detox is one of the best ways to strengthen the immune system and fight off infections.
3. Prevent Chronic Disease. The statistics are startling. The World Health Organisation [WHO] implicates environmental toxins in 60-80 per cent of cancers. Our elimination channels are on overload; we must assist in the process and minimise the burden. Toxin build-up and damage our bodies. When free radicals aren't neutralised, they wreak havoc in the body. For example, free radicals are linked to Parkinson's disease, cataracts, Alzheimer's, and even stroke. Toxins in the body also cause heart disease, neurological disorders, brain disease, and more. The list is endless.
4. Improve Quality of Life. A body filled with toxins doesn't function as it should. We live in pain with joint stiffness and aches; chronic headaches; and, digestive disorders like diverticulitis, Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome [IBS]; insomnia; lack of energy; depression, and even compromised memory. These degenerative disorders rob us of life every day. Ridding and neutralising toxins in the body restores health and vitality. After you detox, you'll look better and feel better than you have in years.
5. Lose Weight. Obesity is on the rise, contributing to serious health problems. Diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure are directly linked to excess weight. Ensuring a healthy, active life and preventing the onset of debilitating diseases means reaching and maintaining a healthy weight. Detox programmes rid the body of toxins stored in fat cells. Excess weight and extra inches are lost during the process. The body also encases deadly toxins in water. When the body eliminates these toxins, your water weight disappears. Not only people lose weight now, they often lose inches of fat in various places, especially around the middle.
6. Restore Balance to Body Systems. Our body systems were created to work together in harmony. Body systems like hormonal, endocrine, nervous, and digestive, perform precise functions to keep us healthy and functioning at our optimal levels. People that are overloaded with toxins have compromised internal regulating systems. When these systems don't function properly, our health declines. Detox restores balance to these systems, so they can function properly again. Depression and mood disorders go away; sleep becomes restful and rejuvenating; without overloaded systems, we are singing the same song with our subtle cues and eating what our body needs; our digestive system is ‘unclogged,’ so wastes are immediately expelled, and the deadly toxin, or toxic, build-up never begins.
7. Stop and Slow Premature Aging. Oxidative stress is one of the biggest factors in premature aging. Free radicals attack the body, sometimes causing irreparable damage to the inside and outside. Free radicals and heavy metals are a dangerous mix. Heavy metals promote free radical formation dramatically. Detoxing rids the body of free radicals and heavy metals. The body can better absorb nutrients, including antioxidants and vitamins essential in fighting oxidative stress, while slowing down the aging process.
Put simply, detox is nothing short of an instant ‘payback’ plan — for one's improved health, energy levels, complexion, wellness, and also vitality.